Re: [TCML] How close is close enough? (Primary capacitance)

Hi Brandon,

From my research it doesn't seen to be really critical to get it exact, just get close.  Keep in mind that most caps have a tolerance of +/- 5 to 20% anyway so you could think you've got it right and still be 20% off the mark.  My plan is to use a few nF above the LTR for an initial static gap with a planned configuration to add a single string of same number caps to reach the LTR for an SRSG. (BTW, my tank will start with 2 strings 15 x .15uF/3kV, then adding a third string of same).

Cheers,
Miles

________________________________
From: Brandon Hendershot <brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, March 23, 2010 1:07:42 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] How close is close enough? (Primary capacitance)

Hi Brandon,

As far as whether to go higher or lower than the recommended capacitance, If irc, you want to go higher than the desired capacitance because it's easier to take away some of the capacitance than adding some. I don't know exactly how you would fine tune the capacitance, but I assume it involves soldering on an extra smaller cap to decrease the capacitance a bit. Opposed to desoldering and removing a cap from your MMC. Hope that helps.

Brandon, AZ