Re: [TCML] sucker gap material

Hi Dan,

I've operated sucker gaps up to 7200VA with good results.  I use copper pipe fittings because they are inexpensive, nontoxic, easy to solder, and are excellent conductors of both heat and electricity.  I find that a single gap is much easier to adjust than any type of multi-gap.  The sucker gap is simple, sturdy, and nearly foolproof.

On the downside, sucker gaps are very noisy, and they require require considerable wallplug power.  A vacuum cleaner motor can pull up to 13 Amps.

See links below.

Cheers,

Greg
http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/vacgap.htm