Re: [TCML] sucker gap material

Dan,

Gary is right. When used in a spark gap, small amounts of the electrodes will be vaporized. This has the potential of spreading microscopic fragments of various oxides of chromium and nickel into the air in the immediate vicinity. Some of these (especially hexavalent chromium) are carcinogenic, while others can stimulate allergic reactions, or even cause internal organ damage. These are recognized hazards when welding stainless steel. Brass, copper, or tungsten would be safer (and perhaps even better performing) choices.

Some more info:
http://www.weldreality.com/Safety stainless issues.htm

Bert

Lau, Gary wrote:
I would choose brass fittings over SS for a variety of reasons.

The cost of two brass fittings can't be that great compared the rest
of your coil, even if SS is free.  Machining SS is a lot tougher than
brass.  I think I recall hearing that if SS is heated, it may emit
toxic fumes, but can't confirm this.

As to the opening, I think you're referring to the axial hole in the
fittings.  The thing that matters is the air velocity through the arc
channel.  I don't think the axial hole diameter will affect this too
much, as long as it's not too small.  Mine was roughly 3/8" diameter;
I wouldn't go smaller.

Regards, Gary Lau MA, USA

-----Original Message----- From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Casaregola Sent:
Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:48 PM To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] sucker gap material

I'm building a sucker gap, and was wondering whether stainless
steel would be acceptable as gap material as opposed to copper or
some other metal.  I have a neighbor who tells me not to buy any
type of fittings since he has plenty (all stainless steel).  Second
question; what size opening is appropriate in the gap? Larger
opening allows greater flow of air, therefore better cooling?  Or
smaller opening causing increased pressure of air stream?  Thanks