RE: [TCML] sucker gap material

I would choose brass fittings over SS for a variety of reasons.

The cost of two brass fittings can't be that great compared the rest of your coil, even if SS is free.  Machining SS is a lot tougher than brass.  I think I recall hearing that if SS is heated, it may emit toxic fumes, but can't confirm this.

As to the opening, I think you're referring to the axial hole in the fittings.  The thing that matters is the air velocity through the arc channel.  I don't think the axial hole diameter will affect this too much, as long as it's not too small.  Mine was roughly 3/8" diameter; I wouldn't go smaller.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA