Re: [TCML] Idle musings about surge suppressors

Only MOV's inside - just bigger MOV's...

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce
Nick Andrews wrote:

I wonder if maybe they were referring to the whole-house units which
simply plug into your load center to allegedly protect everything
from spikes.  They use 2 slots, 1 for each pole of the 240VAC.  I
have installed a 100amp sub panel in my garage and was considering
putting one in there as that is where I will power most of my
experiments from, and the prices have dropped to only around 60 bucks
from $100.  Has anyone taken one of these units apart to see what's
inside?  If it's just MOVs then I won't waste my moola on one.

Nick A

From: Gary.Lau@xxxxxx To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010
13:01:35 +0000 Subject: RE: [TCML] Idle musings about surge
suppressors

Surge suppressors use MOV (Metal Oxide Varistors) to clamp
voltages.  Since you're talking about cutting off plugs, I assume
that you're talking about consumer-ready power strips, which
hopefully contain such devices.  I don't know what the circuit
configuration is for protected power strips, but I would assume
that any MOV's are simply in parallel with the power, and so
there's no concept of forwards vs. backwards.  Just plug the TC
into it.  No worry about frying it.

I have 120V MOV's permanently wired inside my Variac case, from hot
to ground and from neutral to ground.  I have no idea how much
difference it makes, but it surely doesn't hurt and seems like a
good idea.

Regards, Gary Lau MA, USA

-----Original Message----- From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 6:13 AM To: Tesla
Coil Mailing List Subject: [TCML] Idle musings about surge
suppressors

I was just wondering if common surge suppressors have any use in
coiling? They are designed to protect equipment from power spikes
coming in, but could they work the other way, dampening surges
going out from Tesla coils? Perhaps by physically reversing the
surge suppressor--cutting off the plug and wiring it into the
Tesla coil backward, then using a double-ended cord to connect to
a wall plug? Or is a coil too much for it, frying all the
circuitry at the first go?

PBT