RE: [TCML] Idle musings about surge suppressors

Surge suppressors use MOV (Metal Oxide Varistors) to clamp voltages.  Since you're talking about cutting off plugs, I assume that you're talking about consumer-ready power strips, which hopefully contain such devices.  I don't know what the circuit configuration is for protected power strips, but I would assume that any MOV's are simply in parallel with the power, and so there's no concept of forwards vs. backwards.  Just plug the TC into it.  No worry about frying it.

I have 120V MOV's permanently wired inside my Variac case, from hot to ground and from neutral to ground.  I have no idea how much difference it makes, but it surely doesn't hurt and seems like a good idea.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA