Re: [TCML] First Tesla Coil Problems and Questions

This is precisely why it's always a good idea to make a "scrap wire" primary
using some 12 AWG house wiring and using cardboard on edge, slitted, to hold
the wire prior to investing your time and money in a copper tubing primary
that may end up being too short.

It's very simple and fast to do and saves this heartache after you discover
you needed 1-2 more turns for best resonance.
On any new design I do this on all coils, both large and small.  JAVATC is
usually very accurate, but I always add 2-3 more turns on the scrap wire
primary, and then I have a wide range to tune from.  I replace this with the
more expensive copper tubing held in white delrin holders after finding best
point.

Not criticizing here, but merely want to point out this important step for
new coil builders.

Happy sparks!

Dr. Resonance