Re: [TCML] Re: Upgraded NPT to 15/60

> One question I do have:  Arcs from my coil seem to
> favor the strike ring.  That is, they don't like
> searching out sideways to the various grounded targets I've
> set up, but seem to always travel straight downward to the
> ring, which is sort of boring.  I mean, I'm glad it's
> not self-destructing and that's what the ring is there
> for.  But to have the arcs "only" hitting the ring is
> sort of self-referential.  I imagine this is a geometry
> problem.  I'm wondering if it could be solved by
> raising the toroid above the secondary a couple inches with
> an insulator and electrically connecting it via a strand of
> 26 ga magnet wire.  Perhaps this additional "distance"
> would encourage to find a ground path elsewhere, and perhaps
> improve the light show.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

Your instinct is correct.  The streamer field can be shaped somewhat by changing the elevation of the toroid.  It can be a bit of a cat & mouse game though.  Raise the toroid too high, and streamers will start breaking out from the upper turns of the secondary, causing damage.  The trick is to raise it just to the point where the streamers tend to propagate horizontally or curve upward a bit without incurring excessive corona from the upper turns of the secondary.  You may also have to experiment with different sized toroids for best results.

BTW:  My wife doesn't mind my coiling at all.  In fact, she is very supportive.  She thinks the sparks are cool, she thinks the web site is neato, and she never complains about all my electrical junk scattered about the workshop.  When we have visitors over who have never seen the coil, she often drags them out to the barn for a lightshow.  I think she is actually proud of what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Greg

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter