Re: [TCML] Thumper, the worlds most advanced tesla coil.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:27:44 +0200, Michael Twieg <mdt24@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So I tried messing with the hysteresis network on my comparator, and I added
some extra shielding, but still got poor results, so I went ahead and
whipped up a variation of your predictor.  I think there are two things
desirable in a zero crossing detector: a large dv/dt at the zero crossing,
and the appropriate amount of phase shift, which should be constant over
amplitude.  So I just made a LR shunt like yours, but used a large burden
resistor (10ohm) to give a large signal, then clamped it with diodes to
limit the signal to a range acceptable by my comparator. Circuit schematic
attached.

You will not get any leading current signal if you clamp with diodes. Inductor must be allowed to enjoy full swing of signal, otherwise it doesn't work.
You should try to do a simulation, and see.

Cheers, Finn Hammer