Re: [TCML] Transistor Questions (slightly O.T.)

Chris,

As others have already commented on PNP, then maybe a GTO is what your looking for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_turn-off_thyristor

Regards,
Bart

Christopher Karr wrote:
I've received the responses, though I'm still at a loss - what I'm asking is this:

Has there been a device manufactured, which behaves like a diode with zero base voltage, but when base voltage (negative or positive, base-to-emitter/collector is irrelevant for sake of questioning) is applied, the device turns 'off' and restricts current-flow. The closest analogy I can think of is a transistor which turns off in the presence of a base-current but, when there is zero base-current, is always on.

Here's an ASCII mock-up of the operation, as it would be seen on an O-scope:

Base Input:
10V       ______                  ______                   ______                  _______                 ______
            |           |                |           |                |           |                |           |                |           |

Transistor Output:

Thanks everyone,

 - Christopher