[TCML] Effects of surrounding structures on coil performance

Greetings all,
My question today is about the effects of surrounding structures on
coil performance (especially very large metal ones).
I finally got my coil all together last night and began tuning procedures.
The initial tuning point recommended by JavaTC produced only a hint of
a streamer from a break out point placed on top of the toroid. I moved
the tap out one turn at a time and got improved streamer length with
each adjustment but nowhere near the performance one would expect from
this machine.
The best streamers were nearing three feet but were very thin and
purple and yellow in color.
Before I continue chasing a very elusive tuning point I wanted to know
if its even worth trying to do so in its current physical location.
I have it set up in my workshop centered in the opening of the
overhead door. My shop is a large steel structure (approx. 18’x24’ w/a
15’ peak at the ceiling) and there are about 3.5’ of clearance between
the top and sides of the coil to the frame of the aluminum overhead
door.
I also have the coil standing on a 2’x2’x2’ stainless steel table.
Is this just too much metal to have around the coil to ever get it to
run properly?
Should I continue to search for a tuning point or is all the metal
surrounding the device going to simply suck the life out of it?
I also thought perhaps the stainless steel table under the coil making
direct contact with the concrete slab might actually help act as a
counterpoise, am I wrong about this and it will just detune the coil
instead?
If I place it directly on the slab or on a nonconductive table instead
of the steel one could I then get it to work inside my shop?
I really like the sterile, well-lit conditions of my shop but if you
guys think its foolish to even try to tune and operate it inside such
I structure then I guess I will need to consider moving it outdoors.

Thanks in advance for your brainpower!