Re: [TCML] Frying tesla coil

Hmm, I'm on my 4th secondary wound on PV & never had the problem that you are describing, but I did have had a turn-to-turn short on one of them.  At about in the same spot where your video shows the flash.  However you seem convinced it's the PVC.  If so, why not just solve the problem by just scrapping your secondary and wind another on new PVC or some other (more reliable) material for coil form.  Problem solved, no?  Dennis Hopkinton MA

-----Original Message-----
From: Garry Freemyer <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Jun 2, 2010 1:43 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] Frying tesla coil

Hmm, I did say that I found something that looked metallic at the spot where the
urn was. It was long enough I had to file about an eight of an inch into the
orm to get rid of all of it. Haven't had it burn since. I am not sure how many
imes I need to say it before everyone notices I said I saw something there at
he spot where it burned out and ad another spot or two as well.
It was a few years ago. I removed the windings starting at the burn area and saw
he fragment and it looked like steel.
I am not particularly bothered by having to repeat this again - I guess I'm
etting used to having to repeat myself after noticing that I too, never
emember everything I read either I no longer feel I have to prove it.
I put some plastic shims under the areas I had to file away. I then encased it
n Envirotex if I recall and it seems to have done the trick.

ent: Tue, June 1, 2010 7:44:50 PM
ubject: Re: [TCML] Frying tesla coil
bartb wrote:
 Garry,

 There are cases of metal fragments in pvc, but it's rare. Gary Lau's account
f seeing a similar issue with a turn to turn short is certainly viable. He is
imply telling you an occurrence he had. But to just "guess" that it's a metal
ragment without pursuing the factual cause?  Dig in there.. If it's a metal
ragment, find out. You don't want a secondary with a metal fragment do you?
ook closely also at the wiring to pin-point the specific area. If it's a metal
ragment, get rid of it. I feel as Gary does that a metal fragment did not cause
our incident. But only you can verify. Again, it does happen I guess, but it's
een a very rare occurrence from the reports I have heard of over many years
ere on the TCML..

 Regards,
 Bart

> Hmm, now that is much more believable than Gary Lau's idea that after hours
nd hours of operation, it was over-coupling, I think I'll go in and amend my
ideo to say it is still a mystery and say some suggest it is material in the
orm but later I'm told they have strict rules about this and that it could be
hat the insulation simply broke down. I did find what looked like metal
ragments in the form in three different places rather deep, but it could have
een silver paint, or who knows.

> I definitely remember a member saying that the place where he worked dumped
loor sweepings into the vat of molten plastic but now I find myself irritated
hat someone would say this when maybe it didn't happen. I believed them and now
 feel like I've been made a fool of.

> Sent: Mon, May 31, 2010 11:23:09 PM
> Subject: Re: [TCML] Frying tesla coil
>
> Gary -
>
> I think that it is MUCH more probable that what is shown in your video clip
s a simple insulation breakdown and turn-to-turn short between two adjacent
urns on your secondary. Over the years I have personally seen this happen
wice, and both times the appearance was EXACTLY what is shown in your clip.

>  Facts about plastic extrusiuon machines:
> 1. Because of the high cost and fine finish on extrusion dies, every
recaution is taken to ensure that no abrasive material is ever allowed into the
aterial hopper.
> 2. Extruders are almost universally equipped with wire mesh "filter screens"
hat filter out any particles of foreign that may accidentally be introduced
ith the resin granules. Google "extruder screens" to see how fine these screens
re.

> As far as seeing darker specks or blobs in white PVC, this is easily
xplained by any one of several different sources:

> 1. Extruders may run different color materials at different times. Although
very effort is made to purge the machine of the previous material, small chunks
f material may get stuck in the feed screw or other areas. Later, when a
ifferent color material is being run, these chunks may finally break free and
ass into the extrusion stream, where they end up in whatever material and shape
he extruder is currently running.

> 2. Bits of material may get stuck in the melting zone of the extruder, where
hey eventually start to breakdown (carbonize). Bits of this material may slough
ff from time to time, and appear as dark specks or patches in the extrusion.

mailto:garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> From: Garry Freemyer <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
> Subject: [TCML] Frying tesla coil
> Date: Monday, May 31, 2010, 6:16 PM
>

> This is a video of my tesla coil frying due to foreign matter in the PVC pipe
hat forms the secondary.

> One person on the list mentioned that they sweep the floor and dump it all
nto the molten plastic so PVC can contain metal fragments, bug parts, hair,
ire, screws etc etc.