Re: [TCML] first light!

Congrats, Joe. That looks pretty good for a first coil. I remember that feeling when it finally all came together. It's always fun to make it a little bigger and add stuff and it still works!

T.J.Wenzel
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Mastroianni" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 4:00 PM
Subject: [TCML] first light!

<http://yfrog.com/878ecz>

Thank you JavaTC! I had been having problems with flash over between turns of my primary...

After worrying my self to death about my secondary and my ground - I spent last night recoating the secondary with Minwax Polyurethane (as suggested in Dan M's book) and let it dry overnight. This morning, I pounded an 8' ground rod into my wife's garden just outside the garage at 6AM. I wired up the ground with automobile jumper cable wire, which is basically stranded cable, about 25 strands of 16 gauge copper. I figured I couldn't get much more of a ground than that.

I had previously tried decoupling the secondary from the primary by raising it. No positive effect.

I tried connecting the coil to the house ground. Oh boy. This was a bad idea. A detuned coil connected to the house ground injected god-knows-what noise into my home grounding system. Luckily, it only trashed one item which is a device I made myself and can fix readily.

But things were still not working. Then I read Dr. Resonance's reply to me about how out of tune I was...I selected my tuning location based on measurements I had taken with a frequency generator and an LED box (like Dan's book) but apparently I didn't try enough range on my primary. JavaTC suggested I needed to be on the 15th turn of my primary (my primary only has 13 turns, but I'm about to add 2 more). I put the clip out to the furthest spot on the primary. And there you have it. My first arc. Not much to brag about, but it's a start!

Thanks to everyone on the list.

More coiling to come for me...onward to bigger arcs, rotary gaps, and solid state!

Joe