Re: [TCML] Re: Re: Dummy load for optimum cap size Experimentation --- High Sensitivity/

A fair question - it's probably not obvious how to employ 120V-rated lamps
in a 20kV circuit.

The test circuit is the normal primary circuit, except that the primary
inductor is replaced with three series-connected 120V halogen flood lamps.
So the cap charges through the lamps instead of through the primary.  When
the gap breakdown voltage is reached, the gap fires and the cap discharges
~21kV into the lamps.  While this may seem like an outrageous violation of
the lamp's voltage rating, since it's a low duty cycle, it works out OK. The
thermal time constant of the filament averages the power out nicely.  The
lamps chosen were the long 500W floodlamp tubes which unlike screw-base
bulbs, support a high standoff voltage.  The caps charge at the same rate as
if there was a primary, and when the gap fires, the cap discharge is a
simple R-C exponential decay rather than an L-C oscillation, but this makes
no difference as far as the cap charging behavior and ultimate power
throughput.

I've done this before when choosing the cap size for my sync gap and it
works very well.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA