Re: [TCML] Primary Coil Simulator for Safe Primary Circuit Experimentation

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 21:11, Gary Lau <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I worry about the accuracy of monitoring the input power.  When pushing
> 140V
> into the NST, I'd be concerned with core saturation giving misleading
> results.  Does a Kill-a-watt meter not register saturation?  Doesn't matter
> though - I have a thermocouple meter and I don't have a Kill-a-watt meter!
> With the bulbs, all the power going to the bulb is real processed power.

Gary,

Saturation is not an issue.  Measure with and without the cap, this will
give you a differential.  Kill-a-watt is sold at Radio Shack, costs a mere
$30, and from my experience it works quite well.  Kill a watt measure
reactive and real power by the way.  It can also tell you the power factor,
and other useful information.  If you're drawing over 15A it will beep at
you, so that may be an issue.  I've checked the accuracy of the k-a-w by
using my scope's math channel. I had one channel two measuring the current
and channel one measuring the voltage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pslawinski/4267608698/  The kill a watt matched
the scope pretty well.

-Phillip Slawinski