Re: [TCML] Primary Coil Simulator for Safe Primary Circuit Experimentation

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:40, Gary Lau <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, if you replace the primary with the dummy load, one can quickly
> change the cap size and nothing else, and gauge the amount of power
> processed by the brightness of the lamps.  For a more quantitative result,
> you can mount a thermocouple on the lamp and see with what capacitor size
> causes the lamps to get the hottest.  I believe that this would give a very
> accurate determination of the optimum capacitor size.  I'll have to
> resurrect my coil and try this!

Gary,

I think a photo sensor of some type would be better suited to this.  The
thermocouple would work, but it will not be able to react to changes very
quickly, like adjusting the voltage on the variac.

This makes me think, do we even care about what the bulbs are doing? Why not
just measure the actual power coming from the wall? The power coming from
the wall is proportional to the power going out of the NST.  Any increase on
the output side will show up on the input side.  The Kill-a-watt would be
perfect for this task, and provides those quantitative measurements you
seek.

-Phillip Slawinski