Re: [TCML] smoking hot topload idea ###

I tried one of those BBQ grills.  It tends to radiate all the sparks around the center where to top half over laps the bottom half.  There is a sharp metal edge on the lid.  You need to cut off all the handles, leg attachments and vent.  Everything needs to be smooth as glass.  It does not work well on a 4" TC running on 1 neon. You need some power to get good sparks.

Check out my 10" TC it has a 36" sphere on top.  It will NOT radiate any sparks at all at 15KW.  The only way I can make it radiate spark is attach a roofing nail with tape.  It will shoot out sparks and streamers any place I attach nails. If I attach 1 nail I get one 12 ft streamer.  If I attach 2 nails I get 2 streamers on each side that are not quite as powerful looking.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gary350/tc10-4.jpg

Check this out.  This is the metal cover from a 400 watt industrial ceiling light. You can buy these for an assortment of different types of bulbs, mercury vapor, high pressure sodium, metal halide, etc.  Here is an aluminum one I picked up at the scrap metal yard for 65 per lb total weight is about $5.  It has rounder edge at the center top side and bottom side but it still tends to send out all the sparks at the center which works very well.  You can buy replacements parts at any electrical contractor supply store check phone book yellow pages or online. Last time I checked replacement is $50 total light fixture is $200.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gary350/sphere2.jpg