Re: [TCML] 1st Run

Be sure to thoroughly sand your PVC tube inside and out. Some of the
lettering or junk on it may be slightly conductive at 300 kV.  BTW, never
clean a coil with Windex --- it is a slight semiconductor at these
potentials.

Then seal tube with 2 coats of Dolph's AC-43.  I then silicone a 1/4 thick
piece of acrylic circle (tight fit inside sec coil) approx 3 inches up from
bottom and another disk approx 4 inches down from HV end.  Tap in gently
with the wooden end of a hammer or mallet, then fix in place with a thick
1/4" bead of silicone (I prefer G.E. Silicone II).

Also, anytime you handle a sec coil after winding, be sure to wear gloves.
The sodium in the sweat and oils on your hands is a good conductor, even at
low potentials.  At 200 - 300 kV its asking for trouble to handle them with
bare hands.

Check your coeff. of coupling in JAVATC or measure it --- keep below 0.12 to
0.14 range so you don't overcouple and produce racing sparks.

On first-lights, always have a friend watch the rear of the coil, or use a
mirror so you can see it.  Always run in darkened room so you can see any
corona before it becomes destructive in nature.

Follow all these precautions, and you will have trouble-free coiling!!

Dr. Resonance