Re: [TCML] 1st Run

Geeze Miles, that sucks.
Could it really be the simple fact of the secondary wire entering the core caused that?   I don't think your situation is exactly the same as mine. It could be anything -  but the pattern of events is similar.  And I started out with the "3 holes holding the winding" but later pulled the winding out of the holes and epoxied over the holes, plugged up the ends with 1/2" gray PVC.  I found that some guys said, - "you must make the core airtight and you cannot have a winding turn penetrate the core," and other guys said it didn't matter that much.

I had arcs racing all over the outside of my 1st secondary and things got hot.

In my case, after a lot of analysis and taking of absolutely sound suggestions (reducing the coupling, coating with sealant, etc.), it turned out I had measured the resonant frequency wrong.  I was off by about 2x.  If I had been in undergrad linear circuits lab, I would have failed that test miserably.

After I retuned to what JavaTC suggested, I got no more racing arcs even after I put the secondary back where it was in the first place (thereby increasing the coupling) and everything ran cool again.

I'm sure your situation is different, but the parallels in what happened are interesting.  I was actually able to use my secondary even though the insulation had burned off a couple turns - I had taken RLC measurements prior to the "incident" and they were the same afterward, so I presumed no turns were shorted- or that not enough of them shorted to show up on my B&K meter.  Or, most likely, I'm just lucky.

Best to you.

Joe