Re: [TCML] IGBT paralleling

Yes, you absolutely *can* parallel MOSFETs and IGBTs successfully.  We do it ALL the time in the work I do for.  Parallel devices for more power, and series them for higher voltage.  For paralleling devices, just need to ensure the following are true:

1.  Circuit is designed to ensure sharing of current among devices.  (i.e. No thermal runaway, etc...) 2.  Gate drive for paralleled devices are symmetric and equal.

Dan
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com
20% Discount for TCML Members in July!!!  Mention TCMLJULY at check-out!

I'm still fuzzy, is it, or is it not technically/theoretically possible to parallel IGBTs (we're rebuilding Wardenclyffe and for giggles going solid state and no single IGBT will work.)  Obviously not really, I just didn't get a completely clear answer yet, yes or no and why or why not.
  One cannot parallel BJTs without equalizing resistors and even then it is dicey (because current in parallel divides) but one can Parallel MOSFETs for like a PWM or something with little or no trouble (because voltage in parallel is constant, and FETs have infinite gate resistance once on?)  With IGBTs in parallel the power dissipation of each one will be half, so I still think there would be potential applications for this.  Also I'm hearing about IGBT modules, what are they, what do they do, can they be used for coiling purposes...  Thanks for your patience guys, interesting good info even if my original question is still opaque to me.

Scott Bogard.