Re: [TCML] SRSG "sputter"

Hi Joe,

I didn't understand the before and after circuit configurations of your
phase Variac.  A Variac is a 3-terminal device - Call the two ends of the
inductor A (hot) and C (neutral), and call the variable tap B.  Mains ground
only goes to the case for safety (and should be used).  In the phase shift
circuit, we want just a 2-terminal variable inductor, so use terminals A & B
or B & C (plus the case ground).

If I understand your post, you previously used "the hot lead from the input
to the variac and the hot lead from the output".  Terminals A & B.

You then switched to "the hot and neutral from the output circuit".
Terminals B & C?

Both configurations should go from 0-100% of the total inductance, the only
difference being that in one the full inductance is at the CW end and the
other is at the CCW end.  I don't think there should have been any
difference in total phase shift achievable, if I understood the
configurations correctly.

You mentioned seeing phase shifts of 15 and 25 degrees.  Since 360 degrees
is 16.67 msec, 15 degrees is only 0.69 msec, and 25 degrees is 1.16 msec. Is
this correct?  It would be good to verify that the motor shaft varies by the
same amount.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA