Re: [TCML] New coil modeled after Green Monster

Hi Roger,

Yes, I have seen pics and some description of your
coil. Very nice system you have there. Now that you
have chimed in here, I would like to get a bit more de-
tail on the DC resonant charging that you employ into
your system. As you are probably already aware, the
GM simply uses the stiff, unfiltered high voltage AC
from the pole pig to power the tank circuit assembly
and around 350 to 400 bps seems to be the "sweet
spot". However, because of the unfiltered AC nature
of the power supply and the ASRSG never being
able to fully sync with the mains frequency, I do
experience the surging (wah-wah) sound of the out-
put through much of the ARSG sped range and it seems
to me if I were to filter the HV supply to a steady DC
voltage level, it would address this issue throughout the
selected RPM range of the SG motor. I do try to finely
tweak the RSG motor speed control to blend the surging
into a more steady output but it seems to me that with a
steady DC throughput to the RSG and tank circuit, there
would be a larger average power throughput and conse-
quently, bigger sparks and hey, bigger sparks is what it's
all about, right? ;^) Feel free to contact me off-list if you
feel the details would go beyond the interest of the rest
of the list.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Smith" <rwsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] New coil modeled after Green Monster

I have built a Tesla coil that is in some ways similar to the Green Monster. The secondary is wound on a 12.5" diameter pvc sewer pipe, and it is wound with 19 gage wire. It is a DC resonant charging type Tesla coil with a break rate of 425 bps and it has worked very well. I have never built a SRSG Tesla coil but the one thing I don't like about them is that you are limited to 120 bps. That's less than a third of the break rate of my coil. That means that if you are going to run the same power level as my coil with 425 bps you need to put in over three times as much energy per break. That would be hard to do without having problems.

Roger