[TCML] getting more performance out of my coil

this is my first coil and i knew nothing about TC's before this two months ago. I am only getting 14.5" sparks to ground(not verry efficent) This coil was built on a very tight budget(found trans for 10$,static gap is two 5\16 carrage bolts w/ high power comp. fan, salvaged magnet wire, sewer pipe, ect. total cost of coil was 150$)
My coil setup is as follows: secondary winding height of 23" w/ 24 awg, 1070 turns. secondary diameter 4.25" primary .25" od. tubing spaced .25"@ 15 turns. 9000\20ma NST trans. tank caps are two 15kv/.02uf in series for a total of 10nf, where optimum resonance is 5.9 and optinum LTR is 9.5. I have more of these caps, so would it help performance any to have one string of three @ 6.67nf(a lot closer to resonant)then adjust the tap on my primary acordingly? also could i run a variac to boost output? can't really afford a new trans at this time, in the middle of buying a house.
thanks, Norm