RE: [TCML] Tesla Coil detector

>>> before it "ignites" or lights up that is.  As such the neon bulb is
>>> "on-edge" for any ionizing particles or radiation to turn on the
>>> light.
>    >Or any stray source of energy.  Like the RF From the
>    >Tesla Coil.
      'radiation' has multiple uses/meanings.
      The detector described will react to things other than
      betas and gammas.

> ----------
> I'll have to try with it enclosed in the metal screening.
      The trick is that the screening must be complete and mind
      the wires coming out.  (Thought: these days it would be
      sorta simple to use a battery/inverter to power the bias
      supply.  This could be ENTIRELY inside the screen.)

> Sure electrons (beta radioactivity per say) doesn't travel too far at all,
> because of air molecule collisions, so that puts a dampener on electrons
> coming off of the top capacitor as any source for sparks?   Perhaps is
> something else, and just affects electrons in the air molecules.

>>> stop a certain amount of EM, but cannot stop particles).
>     >To stop RF with a 'screen': screen needs to _completely_
>     >surround the  detector, AND have no wires thru the screen.
>     >(Hint: I used to get paid to do RFI control and qualification.)
>     >
>     >The '8-10 feet' of air will stop particles nicely.

> Correct, but that was the point.   At 8-10 feet away the free standing
> neon bulb does nothing, while the detector is biased so its neon bulb
> fires even at that distance.
     It may be/will be firing from things other than gammas/betas.

>>>  Meanwhile a second neon bulb connected to nothing at all, does not
>>> light at all during the procedure.
>     >The second detector is not 'biased' almost to turn on...

> I will have to try and enclose the detector fully in metal mesh.

> Bed covers have a lot of electrostatic - that might be interesting.
     Thought occurred to me later:
     If 'old style' CRT/TV, the bigger the better, is handy:
     There's a steep, DC, E-Field at the faceplate....  Might
     explore that.

> So anyway, the point of the original post was the detector makes an
> interesting high energy or high beta particle (electrons) detector,
> though not fully evaluated.
     Detectors which react to multiple things can make
     deciding WHAT is being detected tricky.  It comes dimly
     to mind that some Ne lamps/bulbs were doped with low level
     radioactive sources.  Memories of a magazine article, years
     back: casual web search sort of confirms, tho wikipedia
     article doesn't.  What is being described is not that
     different from a Geiger-Mueller counter/tube, tho gas fill
     and operating voltage differ.

best
 dwp