Re: [TCML] Musical Tesla Coils (plasma speakers on steroids)

Shannon,

Thank you for your understanding.

> I am more interested in studying the topology of the circuit then I am in actually
> building it.
To realize high power amplitude modulation there are some possibilities. I do
not know how Dan did it - haven't seen the schematic yet - but I choose to
use a series modulator. I.e. I connected 120 Vdc in series with the modulator
and the rf power amplifier. So the modulator supplied the power amplifier
with a few Volts to 120 Vdc, dependent of the loudness of the music.
In order to improve the efficiency of the power amplifier the semiconductors
are not operated linearly but switched. Switching the load ( = Tesla coil)
within fractions of a microsecond (remember: this is a millionth of a second)
is not an easy task as well.

If you have some questions related to this topic please do not hesitate to
ask.

Regards,

Herwig