Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Finn wrote:
> L1 is forged in 3mm by 50mm copper strip, and impossible
> to tap.

I see, I should have read your first post a second time.
The approach suggested in my previous post may do for David.

As Antonio says, given L1 and C1, etc, then secondary and
tertiary will have to be built to design to obtain the correct
L2, L3 and C3.  Still, once there, tuning mode can be changed
with C2.

Hopefully at least two modes can be tuned, one with low values
k:l:m and another with rather higher values.  See

 http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/klm.gif

for examples.

I think it would be nice if the 'k' in the two k:l:m are either
both even or both odd so that the voltage peak has the same
polarity in each tuning mode.

C2 will be the challenge I think.   David Sharpe has reported
a case of a magnifier tuned with continuously variable C2
and the tuning was very sharp indeed.  That in itself is
quite interesting and it would be nice to demonstrate that.
It suggests that it is important for breakout to get the
waveform just right.

From today's post,
> mrn6.exe predicts 125kV   =8-}

OMG!   And that is before quenching - how high will it go after?
Well, C2 will be tough.   If there is corona it will mess up
any efficiency measurements.

I'll leave it to Antonio to suggest a design.  Hopefully two
modes of operation can be obtained, one fast and one slow.

> Let's assume that coupling can be expected to operate from
> middle of strip....
> produces k = 0.36 according to javatc.

JavaTC models the current distribution across the width
of the strip in order to calculate self-L.   But then the
mutual coupling to the secondary is calculated by assuming
all the current flows down the middle of the strip.  Not a
bad approximation I think.  It has never been tested but it
should be reasonably close.
--
Paul Nicholson