Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

David Sharpe wrote:
> All experiments that Richard Hull, Alex and I have done
> with magnifiers strongly suggest us must "trap" the energy
> in the driver secondary, and decouple the "parasitic"
> load of the powering transformer/primary tank from the
> resonant secondary/tertiary.

> By adjusting BPS _only_ to nearly burst speed of RSG,
> streamer length would grow to well beyond 10' and never
> showed any reduction is growth versus BPS by visual
> observation.

Are these behaviours not also observed with 2-coil systems?
I suppose quenching would be more critical and harder to achieve
with the 3-coil, is that the case or is it difficult to compare?

Antonio wrote:
> Tuning the system at low power is quite easy.
> Starting from a carefully designed system,

> I tune ...  the topload capacitance ... to produce primary beats
> with the required number of cycles.

> Then I adjust C2 to produce the correct waveform over it.

That sounds quite straightforward.   So if the frequencies are
f1,f2, and f3, then the topload is adjusted to get the right f1:f2
ratio, then C2 adjusts f3?  And the process repeats because the
two adjustments are not independent.

> One of the possible problems is that after quenching the voltage
> over C2 can reach higher values than during the forward energy
> transfer.

Oh yes, your page mentions the stress on C2.   Here are the
waveforms when quenching at 6.6uS with 10kV firing voltage,

 http://abelian.org/tssp/acmq345b.gif

There's a little bit of HF ringing in the base current at
firing, and again as the gap opens.    With the open gap the
stored energy is transfered into mostly two modes - 244kHz
and 357kHz.  C2 is now having to withstand nearly 70kV as
opposed to the 50kV max before quenching.    The ringdown after
quenching is quite peaky compared with the decaying sinusoid
of a quenched 2-coil system.

I suppose the high peak/mean ratio (compared with 2-coil)
both before and after quenching, is helping efficiency.

Are these high peak/mean 3-coil waveforms better for streamer
formation?

> I would like to add these simulations to my site.

Sure, use them wherever you want.

For me, the most curious thing about magnifiers is that the
overall coupling coefficient goes much higher than a 2-coil TC,
but without the racing arcs.   As k is increased in a 2-coil
system, the secondary often breaks down (for reasons unknown)
with racing arcs.  Why do we not get this breakdown with
the 3-coil in which the overall k is high, and the k to the
secondary is very high.  Is it simply that the hot and cold
ends of the resonator are much further apart?   Or is there
more to it than that?  It doesn't help that we don't know what
the racing arcs are.

--
Paul Nicholson