Re: [TCML] DANGER Ground wire question

I have a different perspective on earth grounds. My background in question here is that I do a number of shows where I am in in close proximity to a Tesla coil of 5-10kW size. Many of these are conducted (no pun etc) on a bitumenised parking area with a 20 ft ground wire which I supplement with a few square feet of counterpoise which can spark to the tarmac or at least have some capacitative coupling to it. Anything that I connect myself to will be at some potential to the various RF "earths". When I hold an umbrella up to draw sparks onto it, I wear a chainmail glove with two wires directly back to the TC base.
http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm#Umbrella
With direct sparks to the umbrella, this simply completes the circuit path. With streamers, the situation might be different as I am at TC base potential whereas the earth may be at different relative potential. In some cases this is probably blocked by my jogging shoes and the poor tarmac conductivity. When developing a stunts like this I start from a shorted TC and gradually move out. In this way I can feel any minor leakages before they become a problem. Different issues affect the Faraday cage and swimming pool shows in regard to earthing but many issues arise due to the fact that different splaces in the RF earth are at different potentials. Even a straight wire has inductance, RF impedance and a significant voltage drop. It's not ususally a good idea to just "touch something" to see if it is dangerous.

Peter www.tesladownunder.com

Chris Arielles wrote:
Is the ground wire and ground rod of a Tesla coil dangerous. If someone were to touch it during coil operation that is? Sorry im a noob.