From: Paul Nicholson <tcml88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:35:34 +0000

Antonio wrote:

 > What would be the effect of "shaking" the charge on a
 > developing streamer with the higher-frequency electric
 > field from the overtones?

Maybe considerable effect?

- Much more overtone content when you split the resonator
   into two coils;
- Overtones are relatively low impedance at the top;
- Magnifiers are often reported to have brighter streamers
   for given power level - achieved without deliberate
   effort to tune overtone frequencies for coherent output
   peak;

Channel heating by overtones is an open question, ball is
in the experiments court.  If shown to be significant,
maybe be it could be exploited with hybrid of TC and CW SSTC,
or design for overtone content.

 > For a system operating in a high mode, it is really not
 > clear if an advantage exists. Maybe a somewhat
 > faster (less cycles) energy transfer.

So there are three aspects of magnifier theory on the table
to be tested:-
- Channel heating by overtones;
- Greater efficiency due to faster energy transfer;
- High peak output due to coherent use of resonances;

 > There is also the question of what happens in a magnifier
 > after the quenching of the spark gap. The secondary voltage
 > is not the smooth decaying sinusoid of a Tesla coil. It has
 > two tones, not one, and the voltage over the "transmission
 > line" may rise above the limit during the energy transfer
 > transient.

Something I hadn't considered.  And what happens to discharge
transients sent down into the coil from the top?  Is a magnifier
more robust to these?  Actually... do they matter in any TC?

So many unknowns about Tesla Coils!   And we think sometimes
we know so much :)  Really, there is so much to research.

BTW I am just having fun here setting up a model in tssp
of your 3:4:5 system described here,

  http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mag345.html

It is all modeling quite well so far.
--