Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

Harvey wrote:

> 47 Turn/ 10 ft Diameter/1500 ft 14 gauge Secondary

> Now here I will assume that since the secondary windings
> are at 1 inch separation, we can use the quarter wave
> formula as a good approximation of the secondaries resonant
> frequency using 1500 ft of wire,

h/d is 47/120 so it will be very different to a regular
secondary.   Velocity factor with respect to wire length
will be quite a bit less than unity (usually 1.5 to 2 for
normal h/d).   Outside the range of validation of any of
my models, unfortunately, but I would guess the electrical
length of the wire will be more like 2000-2500ft when wound
into the secondary.

Predicting the resonance in advance is difficult, especially
when working in terms of wire length.  Plus, capacitance of
the secondary to tertiary connection is unpredictable and
significant.

You can use JavaTC to calculate the resonances of each coil.
But these stand-alone resonances are lost when you hook the
two coils together.

Hence I would say that to get an initial tuning, just measure
the combined secondary + tertiary + topload and tune the
primary to match.   Use your signal generator to find the
lowest resonance of the system without primary.
Drive the generator into the seconday base at low impedance
and look for signal peaks on an E-field probe.

When you have added a primary coil and roughly tuned it,
maybe you can identify the lowest three resonances with the
signal generator?   Then, it is a matter of fiddling with the
primary and transmission line capacitances to set the ratios of
the frequencies to one of the desirable combinations described
by Antonio.

Well, others may have better suggestions Harvey.  I don't have
any practical experience of magnifier tuning.

--
Paul Nicholson