Re: [TCML] Off grid, medium size, 12V battery powered TC

Jonathan,

I suppose that if one alternator isn't sufficient, you could hook up two, three, or more with a serpentine belt to the output of a junkyard V-6 auto engine. Perhaps big alternators from trucks or construction equipment might give more power per alternator module.

I remember stories of the Air Force using hot rod V-8 engines on starting carts to spin the massive jet engines of the SR-71 planes up to speed before lighting them off. One horsepower equals 750 watts, so even a 10 HP mower engine would get you 7.5 kW, minus conversion losses. The engine from a motorcycle or small compact car would give you plenty of power to work with.

I know Steve Ward built a very elegant and compact solid state inverter to boost 240 VAC wall plug juice up to something like 800 VDC to run his big SSTCs. Since he first rectifies the wall current to DC, something like that might fill the bill for you, as you would be getting pulsating DC from the alternators. You would just have to use steering diodes to keep the paralleled alternators from fighting each other.

Dave