Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

 It's good to try out various ideas and methods.  It seems to me that with brushes
in place, the only value of the diode is that it causes self-starting.  However it weakens
the sync-lock, and causes arcing at the brushes.  Adding a resistor in series with the
diode as you mentioned, might be helpful.  It may reduce the current enough to give a
stronger sync-lock while still allowing for self-starting, but may also reduce arcing at
the brushes.  Adding the resistor should also prevent diode failure.  There may not
be a whole lot of physical room there to add the resistor however.  Also the resistor
may run hot.

Another idea is to use only a resistor (no diode).  The resistor should be selected to
pass only enough current to permit self-starting.  By not using a diode, there would
be more room for the resistor.  A resistor can be placed on each side of course
to allow for the use of smaller resistors, for better heat radiation, and for balance.
By using resistors only, the motor should give good sync-locking, self-starting,
and no arcing at the brushes.

Cheers,
John