[TCML] how to determine some facts about ionizer module?

I've been given a small encapsulated "black box" from an ionizer. It has 110
V utility power input leads and two output leads, one grounded to the
chassis and one to a needle (presumably the emitter). I suspect that
connecting it to my self-ranging DVM could speedily destroy the latter. How
can I most easily discover the voltage it delivers (enough for a very small,
almost painless spark) and its other characteristics?

thanks
Alan