RE: [TCML] Off grid, medium size, 12V battery powered TC

Hi Jon,

I heard about this one a while back, a TC powered off 12 volts, a 555, some power transistors and a couple of ignition coils.  I heard some things about the transistors overheating in this design so you want some good heatsink and air circulation.  There are a boatload of comments about it as you scroll down the page.  I have not tried this design but I can tell you that an ignition coil from an older car, before cars had transistors in them, should give you a bigger spark than a newer model ignition coil, with the exception of one made for a racecar.  But as always, your ignition coil may vary!  Car scrapyards may be good for a cheap deal on a coil, in a car parts store I have seem them from 40, 50, even 60 bucks a coil.  If you get one from a scrapyard make sure it is not leaking oil.

http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_tesla_coil.htm

Brian Hall