From: Teslalabor <teslalabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 17 December, 2010 8:29:53
Subject: Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

Hi Gary,

what I can say is, that the diodes become very hot. I have soldered two
diodes each 6A in parallel so the current through the diodes I think is more
than 12A. Heavy currents are induced when rotating and of course, when the 2
shorted segments are passing the brushes, it's like a short circuit in the
diodes with only the stator coils in place. Maybe this is the reason they
get so hot.

In my opinion it would even be possible to add some resistors, in series
with the diodes?! I think the "poles" in the armature are to strong with
only the diodes. I have some commercial sync motors here (arround 80W each)
and they have a normal armature like every induction motor and only 2 weak
permanent magnets on each side of the short-circuit armature. This is enough
to "force" the armature in sync. So I think it might help to put resistors
in series with the diodes and keep the poles much weaker.

Stefan