Re: [TCML] Secondary Coil Capacitating

Go to pupman.com and search for "electrophorus", and you'll find several posts
on this.

----- Original Message ----
From: dave pierson <dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, December 7, 2010 4:39:46 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Secondary Coil Capacitating

> I was running my coil tonight, something happened underneath the coil
> I wanted to check out, so I went to move the secondary,
    I Assume it was turned off?

> and it shocked me. Nothing brutal, just a carpet spark, but it had
> been off for several minutes. Why (How?) is it storing electricity?
    This is not uncommon.  Its been reported here before,
    tho i can't be sure of an archive keyword.
    shock
    might be as good as any...

> Is it between the topload and counterpoise?
    Depending on coil detail circuit design, charge can
    be stored various ways.  If the system design does not
    provide a DC path the topload can store charge.  Less
    obvious is storage in coil insulation (electrophorus
    effect).  While the coil output is mostly AC, some
    stray rectification can take place (point rectifier...)
    and leave some 'DC' trapped.  Also, any internal cap can
    end up with some charge, stored, until blead off.

    best
    dwp