To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:21 PM
Subject: [TCML] Rectifying methods

First of all, please show indulgence to my writing, as english is not spoken as a primary language.

Hello fellow coilers!

Years ago, I began constructing my very last tesla coil, a magnifier set to do nothing but entertain and educate the students in my hometown. I didn't have time to make it pretty, as I only had 6 months until dealine. However, it was completed and operational. Set to operate at 20kW single phase current, capable of 80kW, it was to be the most powerful tesla coil in this part of the world. As the day of the show arrived, it became clear that there was nowhere to plug it in, and the show was cancelled. Ever since I have failed with everything, education, jobs et.c. Now is the time to finish it.

I have decided to convert it into a DC powered coil, with the advantage of using polyphase current through a rectifier, but at these high power levels, common rectifying methods are insufficient. I have primarily been considering mercury arc valves and electromechanical converters, but none seem apt in this application. I need to know if there are anyone out there who knows how to rectify my current, or have done it in the past.

I am eager to complete this monster and more than grateful to all kinds of suggestions regarding to the completion.

Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx