Re: [TCML] VA formula

Hi Dan,

Very nice catch! Following are some useful formulas for laminated core transformers, taken from the book by Eric Lowdon, "Practical Transformer Design Handbook":

Let f = operating frequency (Hertz)
    A = Core area (center leg if 3 legged core, in square inches)

Est Volts/turn  = V = 15.77*f*A*13000/(10^8)
Est turns/volt  = 1/V
Est VA capacity = (A*(f/9.6))^2

Good luck,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce

Dan Casaregola wrote:
I have a MMot,(read Monster Microwave Transformer) which I want to
estimate the VA rating of, and I lost my notes re volt-ampere
calculation using the core area squared.  This beast weighs 25
pounds, and is very well constructed.  No welds, all 1/4 20 hardware,
and 1/8 inch steel mounting brackets.  Ideal for re-winding for heavy
duty inductor or high current low voltage supply.  Would appreciate
the formula.  Thank you. Dan