From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bert Hickman
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:49 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [TCML] Primary Support Materials

Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, PVC tends to track more quickly than many other polymers
in the presence of a corona discharge. Corona is typically generated at
"triple points" - where a conductor, air, and insulator all come
together. The E-field is enhanced in these regions, and if allowed to
create corona, the insulation system will ultimately fail. In PVC, the
combination of UV, ozone, and heat in a corona discharge cause some of
the PVC to break down, liberating carbon and hydrogen chloride. The
latter combines with water vapor in the air, condensing onto the nearby
surface of the PVC (and anything else in the vicinity).

Partially-conductive chloride ions on the surface lead to development
and accelerating growth of carbonized tracks. Once begun, these evolve
into branching, black, Lichtenberg-like figures that culminate in the
complete failure of the insulator. However, IF you can prevent initial
corona formation or arcing near the surface, PVC can be an excellent HV
insulator. It's just not a very forgiving one.

Polymers that don't contain halogens are considerably less affected by
small amounts of corona. Common solid polymers with much better corona
and tracking resistance include polyethylene (LDPE, HDPE, non-conductive
UHMW), Plexiglas (PMMA), Polycarbonate (PC), and glass-epoxy. Flexible
polymers with excellent corona and tracking  resistance include silicone
rubber and EDPM rubber.

Here's an example of tracking that I encountered within a high energy
spark gap (poor design/material selection on my part). Although initial
tracking began on the surface of the white PVC spacer, it progressed
along the surface of the nearby polycarbonate as an HCl film was
deposited onto its surface. The PC surface was roughened from sanding
away a previous set of tracking patterns - it didn't fix the problem.
Replacing the spacer with one made from PMMA completely eliminated the
problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tracking1.jpg

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce