Re: [TCML] Primary Support Materials

Polycarbonate (Lexan) is extremely easy to machine as well as finish.

HDPE is more difficult to machine, but works just fine in a drill press and jig saw.  I used to make all my primary supports with HDPE due to its low cost.  When I say machinability, I'm talking about milling machine stuff holding tolerances to like a billionth, zillionth inch.  If you're just using a drill press and handsaw, jigsaw, HDPE works GREAT!

Dan
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com
DRSSTC, SSTC, Audio Modulation Kits

Ok,
So we know to definitely NOT use PVC in this application since it's apparently prone to carbon tracing, and the best options I've heard are the typical HDPE, and polycarbonate.
Now, I've heard that the HDPE is difficult to glue, and a weak bond at that. Is that right? Polycarbonate should provide a strong bond I would think...
As far as machinability goes, how does polycarbonate behave under a drill press and jig-saw/dremel? I know HDPE is messy, but I find it moderately easy to work with.
Lastly, there's price. As far as I'm concerned, that's just a matter of whether it's worth it or not.
What do you say guys (and gal(s))?
HDPE or polycarbonate?
Thanks a lot,
Brandon