Re: [TCML] climbing sparks

Thanks for the hints, and what I'm concerned mostly about is the possible welding together of two adjacent turns. I know that a shorted turn affects the Q, and also the resonance, but to what degree. Maybe I'll just use some mild abrasive to remove the carbon and re-seal with urethane. I think I caused the problem myself because I ran the coil without a breakout point. It really looked great though with all the long purple streamers! Thanks again guys. Dan/ag2z ----- Original Message ----- From: "eric goodchild" <ericgoodchild@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] climbing sparks

You can try and sand off the carbon tracing and re cote the secondary, but
this will only work if the wire it's self is undamaged.

Eric

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Dan Casaregola <ag2z@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just when I thought my coil was working well, I discovered climbing sparks on the back side of it! I never ran it more than 20-30 seconds at a time, but I notice about 5 tiny burn marks about mid-way up. Is there an accept method of repairing the problem? The winding is still intact, but there may
be a shorted turn.  Thanks / Dan