Re: [TCML] Sparks and neighborly fun

Funny you should say that - I'm building the Van De Graaff as we speak...for mostly that reason.  The wife is a science teacher and the coil is far too unsafe for her to operate around (little) kids.  She was hoping I'd have built a smaller one, which I suppose I will have to get to somewhere between upgrading this one and the even bigger one with the 6" secondary I have already wound and coated with 5 coats of dolphs.  (It gleams beautifully...beaconing.)

We have a "plan B", which is to move coiling operations to the back yard.  I live on a hillside, so the back yard is about 25 feet lower in elevation and faces a major highway (California Rt 17).  The noise from the highway is easily coil level, and everyone who lives on my street has triple-paned windows in the back.  So my coil experimentation should not be much of a disturbance.  And we can bring visitors down in a controlled manner, and it's also far from household electronics.  Only thing back there is the A/C.  (I'll peel a couple amps off the 220V feeding the A/C compressor.)

So far we've "indoctrinated" a couple neighbors.   Of course, there's nothing more rewarding than having someone ask to explain it, and then to see them react to the sparks.  To me it's like riding in my first Corvette.  You can see all the pictures and hear all the stories, but 0-60 in under 5 seconds is an experience no matter how many you-tube videos you've seen.

Similarly, seeing the sparks in real life is a rush, and not a single person has left disappointed.

Now if I could only convince people the law of conservation of energy is not being violated just because the coil looks like something from a science fiction movie....

Cheers,
Joe