Re: [TCML] inductance Vs diameter Vs height

Guys, I have a little spreadsheet for that graph I showed. It was based on h/d and Fr. My thoughts at the time is that this maxL was always based on a low frequency condition. Thus, I thought, what about when the coil is operating at Fr? Does that max inductance ratio still apply? The answer is NO. Of course not. Les is the effective series inductance at the resonant frequency of the coil. And of course,, depending on Les for your specific coil, the maximum inductance attainable is different than the standard ratio so often referred to.

So often, coilers forget that our coils have an operating frequency and the inductance at that AC is not 50 or 60 Hz. Inductances does change with frequency and thus, so does maximum inductance for a geometry.

My point here is that when contemplating a maximum inductance, use the inductance at which the coil will see, not some low frequency value that is unreal. Here's that spreasheet: http://www.classictesla.com/temp/max_inductance_csv.xls

Take care,
Bart

Phil Tuck wrote:
Scott: