Re: [TCML] Inductor design program?

Hey John...

I was basing the current/wire size on the maximum current I want going to the piggie. So lets say I had a non limited transformer i needed to ballast to 20 amps, I would then use a #10 or #12 wire. I would still wind on the 1 turn per volt to start with. I also would be more apt to adjust the gap between the EI cores to fine tune the amperage draw.

It may be a bit scarey, but you can test the inductor for its full amperage limiting by using it as a load on an A/C circuit. Along with an amp meter and a variac, you can find the "current" curve of the inductor as you ramp up the voltage. Most of the inductors I have made seem to be pretty linear in their responce untill saturation of the core occurs. At that point ( saturation) the current climb seems more exponential

If you dont want to adjust the EI core gap and keep the core solid, the next step would be to start removing winds 1 or 2 at a time untill you reach the current you are looking for. IIRC, as you remove winds, the current begins to increase.....

Scot D

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I am confused. You are basing your turns and thus your inductance off your initial voltage or turns / volt, etc. then you decide a wire gauge based on what current you want. When do you make the connection between inductance and voltage as to actually know what the current will be vrs. what you want it do be? Thanks, John "Jay" Howson IV