Historicity....HF Alternators....Re: [TCML] 60/50Hz Tesla Coil? - Non disruptive

(drifting a bit from practical coiling...)

> I seem to recall someone quoting Tesla ... along the lines of
> dreaming up some sort of AC alternator which could produce an
> output frequency high enough for continuous oscillation of
> his coils.

     Tesla, Expereiments with Altrenate Currents of High Potential
     and High Frequency.  (or close to that: expect its on Google
     Books?)  Written before Colorado Springs.  Tesla started with
     alternators, ran them faster and faster until their
     efficiencies and mechanical lmitations got too much.

     Spark Gap was the only way (then) to go higher in frequency.

     Conventional wireless (and Tesla) rapidly realized the
     advanatages of Continuous Wave (as distinct from
     Damped Wave/Spark Gap) for most purposes.  Vacuum tubes
     got there, while, at the same time, Poulson Arc and
     Alexanderson (and other) Alternators made it to 100s of KHz.
     Lots of the early HF Altrenator work is forgot, unless one
     happens on an old book.

----
As to 'what's a Tesla Coil':
     THAT seems a matter of opinion, and everyone has one.  For me
     its a resonant system, optimized to get to HV.
     Spark Gap/disruptive is one way.  Various CW is another.

best

 New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx