Re: [TCML] Varnish

David Speck wrote:
Jay,

At 15 KV, no varnish, epoxy, or other coating in reasonably thin layers is going to be adequate to hold off that kind of voltage.

You have to design your transformer intrinsically to provide that voltage standoff, with an insulating bobbin for the windings of sufficient size, conformation, and dielectric strength to keep the HV away from the grounded core. Applying a few thousandths of varnish is not going to improve the protection appreciably.

It sounds like you are reinventing a 60 mA neon sign transformer. Would it not be easier and faster to pick up one ready made off eBay, or from your local neon sign shop?

15kV @ 1 Amp is a 15kVA transformer.. more like a small pole pig rather than a NST (60mA@15kV is less than a kVA)

Dave