Re: [TCML] Question on JavaTC

Hi Miles,

No need to send. But, do a little math.

I'm sure you've heard of the typical 30kV per cm (76kV per inch) for breakdown in air for electrodes about 1cm in size and in a uniform field. This value is the voltage gradient at which breakdown occurs, granted under specific criteria. However, the criteria changes (pressure, distance, size, etc..). Normal breakdown is on the order of 26kV per cm or 66kV per inch.

66kV per inch of breakdown is 0.015" per 1kV. This is 1.87 times smaller a gap distance than the gap distance you quoted of .028" per 1kV. What is being said with that statement is that breakdown of the gap should be set so that we assume breakdown in air occurs at 35.7kV per inch. Well if this is true, then we should be able to set that gap distance accordingly, apply 35.7kV, and breakdown will occur. ??? Guess what, it won't.

What will occur is that the cap continues to climb until breakdown finally does occur. If 66kV per inch is correct, then your 12kV transformer will see from the charge on the cap roughly 22kV across it's secondary winding at the point in time when the gap shorts out the transformer during conduction in normal operation.

But lets be practical. There is absolutely no doubt in any seasoned coilers mind that if you open up the gap distance, you will achieve a higher bang energy across the gap "due to the increased voltage required to arc the gap". Some transformers can take this, and some cannot. I'm not sure where Richard acquired this gap setting, but I suspect it is one of these statements "I have found that x works great for these gaps".

It is fine to increase the gap as you feel comfortable with (hell, I won't stop you). But as far as Javatc's recommendation being in question, can you at least tell me what it is your questioning? Because it's not just Javatc your questioning, but many papers on the subject of breakdown.

Regards,
Bart

Miles Mauldin wrote:
Right, it is RMS. This is from an archive mailing with Richard Quick amswering questions and a list member asking them. I can send the link later if you wish(don't have links to it on phone).

Well it's 13 electrodes (12 gaps). Although being quenched by a muffin fan, I still question the gap recommended by JavaTC.
Best Regards,
Miles

Sent from my iPhone