Re: [TCML] Primary Capacitors ... Again ...

mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Jim,

When calculating the voltage-reversal pps for life expectancy, should
one use  2X the line frequency or the TC operating frequency ~100KHz?

"bang rate" = pulses per second. That is, from the cap's view.. it gets charged up 120 times/sec (with a twice per cycle, US application) and discharged with a oscillatory discharge.

Loaded Q on a TC is what, around 10? I don't remember off the top of my head what that makes the VR (80%?).

With a SGTC, I can see maybe using the line frequency because the RF
oscillations are damped rather severely and are occuring in "bursts"
of ~120 bps, but it still seems that these high frequency reversals
are having SOME effect on the cap, and therefore the higher Fo of the
coil, the lower the life expectancy would be. No?

The other problem with the "slightly used" Maxwells many coilers get,
is that unlike used cars, they don't come with an "odometer" reading,
you never know just how "used" they are.

That is the real question. And, of course, there's no way to "measure" a cap to find out.

Matt D