RE: [TCML] magnetic quenching / neodymium magnets

Warren,

I have tried using the neodymium magnets on a spark gap to improve quenching and have viewed the waveform using an oscilloscope. The coil which I tested on was a 'mini-coil' running off of a 3KV 15mA 'NST' which was more like a bug-zapper transformer.

The results I viewed with my experiment was that a neodymium magnet in the gap did not affect, in the slightest, the ringdown of my Tesla coil's primary circuit.

The neodymium magnet was in very close proximity to the gap (to the point that the gap's electrodes were quite unwilling to stay where they were placed, even if their holders refused to let them go). The magnetic force was as large as it could have possibly been without comprimising the structural integrity of the spark-gap assembly.

As a side note, I compared both polarities to no magnet used, and the difference in my readings (via a current-transformer, to read the waveform).

Also, no observed difference in output was made under these different conditions, even with readjusting the tuning (meaning, the maximum remained the same).

I imagine that the large magnets might be used in other situations to cause an established arc in a high-current spark gap to quench.

The only actual anomaly I have noticed was in the use of the magnets as electrodes - depending on the orientation relative to one-another, occasionally there would be a lack of one half-cycle's discharge, which appeared to make the BPS 30. I used a tachometer as a stroboscope (by covering its infrared output) and observed a count of '30RPM.' OPther times, there would be zero discharge and other times it would fire less frequently than when the gap was empty.

Good luck!

 - Christopher Karr