From: otmaskin5@xxxxxxx [mailto:otmaskin5@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 12 April 2010 10:34 a.m.
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] JAVATC & tuning

Hi Bart, thanks for rechecking my JAVATC calc.  Yeah, I had discovered I had
erroneously checked the AWG box being which was giving me the weird negative
space between turns (that was embarassing).

The reason I was came up with 1516 turns is that I input the heavy build
insulation thickness into the turns calculator.  The spool I bought from
McMaster Carr said the wire diameter was 0.018 close to 0.0178 (which is
0.0159 bare wire + 0.0019 heavy build insulation) so I used the heavy build
0.0019 insulation thickness in the calculator.  After getting your email, I
redid the turns calculator using single build insulation thickness (0.0011)
and came up with 1652 turns, almost exactly the turns number you came up
with.

The only thing I can conclude is that the spool was mis-labled as to the
wire diameter.  It would be too much of a coincidence that, using 1650
turns, JAVATC came up up with almost exactly the number of primary turns
(19.2) as I found through trial & error tuning (19.3).  So I gotta believe I
really got single build insulation and 1650 turns on my secondary.  The only
times JAVATC was ever way off for me was when I entered a bad input.

I'll see if I can borrow a O-scope to verify frequency, but I think the
mystery is solved.  Thanks again.  Dennis Hopkinton MA